|Published:||May 28, 2010 4:05 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 28, 2010 1:05 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla.- As of 11:00 a.m. Friday, May 28, the search and rescue operation for the boater missing off of Fort Myers Beach is now a recovery operation. The missing person has been identified as Paul Taefi of Bonita Springs. The individual who survived has been identified as Carl Michael Wlodyka also of Bonita Springs.
WINK News found out investigators no longer believe the boat hit a sandbar.
Investigators now believe alcohol was the primary factor in the accident.
Investigators say Taefi was operating the boat when Wlodyka fell overboard.
Taefi stopped the boat and jumped into the water to help Wlodyka but went missing himself.
Wlodyka was able to make it to shore and is in the hospital recovering.
The accident happened Thursday night around 7 p.m. Witnesses called 9-1-1 after hearing "blood-curdling screams".
WINK News spoke exclusively with two of the missing boater's best friends. They are launching their own search on jet skis to try and find their friend.
Trust WINK News for the latest developments.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Templeton Shootout drives millions into Naples economy
- House to tackle flood insurance rate hikes
- Neighbors say homicide victim was loved by everyone
- FWC reports 20th panther mortality for 2013
- Naples shelter combats domestic violence one gift at a time