|Published:||May 28, 2010 4:05 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 28, 2010 1:05 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla.- As of 11:00 a.m. Friday, May 28, the search and rescue operation for the boater missing off of Fort Myers Beach is now a recovery operation. The missing person has been identified as Paul Taefi of Bonita Springs. The individual who survived has been identified as Carl Michael Wlodyka also of Bonita Springs.
WINK News found out investigators no longer believe the boat hit a sandbar.
Investigators now believe alcohol was the primary factor in the accident.
Investigators say Taefi was operating the boat when Wlodyka fell overboard.
Taefi stopped the boat and jumped into the water to help Wlodyka but went missing himself.
Wlodyka was able to make it to shore and is in the hospital recovering.
The accident happened Thursday night around 7 p.m. Witnesses called 9-1-1 after hearing "blood-curdling screams".
WINK News spoke exclusively with two of the missing boater's best friends. They are launching their own search on jet skis to try and find their friend.
Trust WINK News for the latest developments.
- Early morning crash on US 41 kills pedestrian
- Man surrenders after lengthy situation in St. James City
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School today
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Stolen puppy returned to Pensacola pet store