|Published:||May 23, 2010 10:12 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 24, 2010 1:01 AM EDT|
NORTH FORT MYERS, Fla. - The 2010 hurricane season is a little more than a week away, and Southwest Floridians are already getting ready.
WINK News checked out a home improvement store in North Fort Myers and found that batteries...flashlights...generators and sturdy front doors were the hot items.
David Tyer was hauling his new door through the aisles of Home Depot. He learned lessons after hurricanes Charley in 2004 and Andrew in 1992.
"Replaced our garage door with one that has better supports in it...and stuff like that. We also made sure that our roof is in good condition," says David Tyer of Cape Coral.
We also found Sue Wild buying sturdy brackets to help construct a new roof on her daughter's car port.
"You have to honor the storm...you have to be aware of its power and not just fluff it off," she says.
WINK News has teamed up with the News-Press for this year's 2010 hurricane guide.
You can read about life-saving tips...and everything about a storm from start to finish.
Look for the guides in Southwest Florida Publix stores.
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption
- Fla. Gov. asked to return money to insurer
- Memorial Day weekend travel expected to mirror last year
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge