|Published:||May 21, 2010 8:27 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 21, 2010 7:33 PM EDT|
JUNO BEACH, Fla. (AP) - FPL Group Inc. is now called NextEra Energy Inc. Shareholders at FPL Group's annual meeting in Juno Beach voted to approve the name change Friday and Florida's Secretary of State certified the name change filing, making it official.
FPL Group says the change "is intended to better reflect the company's scale as one of the largest and cleanest energy providers in the country."
FPL Group is the parent company of Florida Power & Light Company. The change will help distinguish the two. Florida Power & Light will keep its name because of its "proud history and tradition" in Florida.
The change will not impact the operations or customers of the two major subsidiaries. FPL Group has retail or wholesale operations in 28 states and Canada.
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday
- Redmond HIV case could be thrown out under Fla. law
- SAO drops grand theft charge against fmr. commissioner
- APNewsBreak: Fla. congressman lost $18M in scheme
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end