|Published:||May 21, 2010 8:27 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 21, 2010 7:33 PM EDT|
JUNO BEACH, Fla. (AP) - FPL Group Inc. is now called NextEra Energy Inc. Shareholders at FPL Group's annual meeting in Juno Beach voted to approve the name change Friday and Florida's Secretary of State certified the name change filing, making it official.
FPL Group says the change "is intended to better reflect the company's scale as one of the largest and cleanest energy providers in the country."
FPL Group is the parent company of Florida Power & Light Company. The change will help distinguish the two. Florida Power & Light will keep its name because of its "proud history and tradition" in Florida.
The change will not impact the operations or customers of the two major subsidiaries. FPL Group has retail or wholesale operations in 28 states and Canada.
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- Dr. Joseph Burke's Last Day as Superintendent
- Poll: Rubio gets negative marks on immigration
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- Judge reads charge against Zimmerman to jurors