Published: May 20, 2010 5:00 PM EDT
Updated: May 20, 2010 4:57 PM EDT

NORTH FORT MYERS, Fla. - An early morning fire in North Fort Myers has been ruled accidental. Firefighters responded to the Palm Avenue apartment building around 5:45 a.m. Thursday, May 20. 

Upon arrival, firefighters encountered flames fully engulfing a second floor apartment.

A single woman living in the unit told firefighters she woke up to find her pillow in flames. The woman told authorities that she left the apartment, believing the fire had been extinguished. When the woman went outside, she accidentally locked the door behind her; it appears that the fire was rekindled. Neighbors smelled smoke and contacted the authorities.