|Published:||May 20, 2010 11:16 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 20, 2010 11:16 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla. - Today, workers began removing asbestos contaminated soil from a local road project. Posen Construction will spend the next several weeks sifting through soil on the south side of College and Summerlin.
Inspectors found asbestos fibers in some of the concrete at that work site last November.
The Department of Environmental Protection is demanding air monitors near the work site to make sure no asbestos is circulated.
Meanwhile, changes to a major Cape Coral roadway may slow traffic. The third and final phase of the Santa Barbara Boulevard Improvement Project is shifting southbound traffic to the east side of the road at Veteran's Parkway.
- North Fort Myers mobile home fire displaces family
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: Up to 20 whales moved to deeper water
- Legal fate of FSU quarterback to be answered
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- New bridge has glitch that keeps a section up for 30 minutes