|Published:||May 20, 2010 5:29 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 20, 2010 5:29 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - Authorities have released new information in the deaths of two elderly residents at 228 SE 30th Street in Cape Coral.
Authorities now believe that carbon monoxide poisoning appears to be the cause of death for two elderly residents after they inadvertently left a van running in the garage. The victims have been identified as 80-year-old Rogelio Gonzalez and 75-year-old Shannon Lynnette Johnson were found deceased in their home by a relative who had stopped by to check on them. Final cause of death is pending toxicology results.
At 7:26 p.m., Cape Police and Fire units responded to a 911 call reporting the discovery of the two bodies in the home at 228 SE 30th Street. A relative of Gonzalez said he arrived at the home and found the garage door open. When he entered the home to find Gonzalez, he located his body in the bathroom and then found Johnson’s body in the bedroom. Lee County EMS medics arrived on scene and pronounced both victims dead at 7:39 p.m.
While it appears one of the victims may have shut off the vehicle and opened the garage door to air out the area, the Cape Coral Fire Department’s Hazmat Unit found an elevated level of carbon monoxide in the home. Emergency responders were checked at the scene by medics for carbon monoxide exposure, and one detective was transported to the hospital as a precaution.
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- Twins minor league team involved in Fla. crash
- Storage unit swiper targets Cape Coral facility
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting