|Published:||May 19, 2010 1:11 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 19, 2010 1:11 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla.-- This morning we want to trim your transportation costs.
We got these common cents tips from kiplinger.com.
AAA says the average cost of owning and driving a car 15 thousand miles a year is over $8,000 and if you own an SUV, it's more than $10,000.
That includes all costs of ownership.
So here are three tips: First, if you drive a beater, worth $2,000 or less you may pay more to insure your car than it's worth.
Dropping the comprehensive and collision coverage could reduce your premium by one-third.
Another tip from Kiplinger is to shop around for gas.
If you go to wink news.com, we've got a link to gas buddy.com which monitors gas prices.
Gas prices vary as much as 20 percent within only a few blocks so it pays to shop around.
Finally, if you're a regular at the gas pump, consider getting a credit card that will give you cash back for filling up.
The Discover Open Road card gives you five percent cash back on gas and auto maintenance charges up to 100 dollars per month.
not too bad!
Also, AAA offers a free, I-phone ap that shows you where the cheapest gas can be found.
It's called the triple a Trip Tik Mobile ap.
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids