|Published:||May 18, 2010 4:58 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 18, 2010 4:58 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Marshal's office reports a suspicious package has been detonated in front of the Federal Courthouse and Federal building on First Street.
The suspicious lunch cooler-type package as found around 8:50 a.m.
A loud "pop" was heard in the vicinity of the package shortly after 11:30 a.m. when authorities detonated the package.
The Bomb Squad's remote control robot was used to perform an X-ray of the suspicious package.
Ft. Myers Police Chief Doug Baker said, "We're just trying to remove it soon as possible to ensure the safety and security of downtown and everyone who utilizes the area."
The Federal Courthouse and several downtown businesses, including Starbucks, a law firm and Quiznos have been evacuated; employees of other downtown businesses in the area. Employees of other downtown businesses are being told to stay indoors as authorities investigated the package.
As a result of the investigation, authorities have temporarily closed down the following areas to traffic:
- Monroe Street to Broadway
- First Street to Main
- Second Street
WINKNews.com will bring you continuing updates on the situation.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies