FORT MYERS, Fla. - Several streets have been closed off to motorists, as the bomb squad investigates a suspicious package at the Federal Courthouse, located on First Street in downtown Fort Myers.
The building and nearby businesses have been evacuated and motorists are urged to avoid the area.
Authorities have temporarily closed down the following areas to traffic:
- Monroe Street to Broadway
- First Street to Main
- Second Street
"If you're going to come down or have an appointment, please call ahead to ensure that that business is open...We're trying to get it resolved and trying to get downtown back to normal; I feel we'll be able to do that within a reasonable amount of time," explained Fort Myers Chief of Police Doug Baker. He urged citizens to avoid the area, if possible.
WINK News has several crews at the scene. WINKNews.com will bring you continuing updates on the situation.
- Lee County deputy & girlfriend arrested on marijuana charges
- FedEx truck hits power lines, catches on fire
- Locked mystery safe found in Charlotte Harbor area
- Suspects on the loose after allegedly robbing Iberia Bank
- CCSO arrests 3, seizes 122 marijuana plants in bust
- Federal charges filed against wanted Lee County fugitive
- How life has changed for Fort Myers 2007 lotto winner
- Panther spotted at Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve
- Venturi, US Open champion and CBS analyst, dies
- Recent LCSO arrest totals 3 deputies handcuffed since April