|Published:||May 18, 2010 2:51 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 18, 2010 2:51 PM EDT|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Police confirm that the body found at a Fort Lauderdale beach was that of a teen who was caught in a riptide.
The body was spotted Monday afternoon, just blocks away from where 18-year-old Vernon Adams was last seen Saturday evening. Officials say his family confirmed the identity Tuesday.
Adams was reportedly at a prom party Saturday when police say he and a friend were caught in a strong current. Lifeguards were able to rescue the friend, but Adams disappeared. Adams' mother, Akisha Hughes, says Adams had been finalizing plans last week to join the Army.
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Immokalee man accused of having sex with an 11 y/o
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- LCSO detectives search for gas station burglary suspect
- Two arrested in Fort Myers drug bust
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- Hazmat team responds to chlorine leak at CCI