|Published:||May 18, 2010 2:51 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 18, 2010 2:51 PM EDT|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Police confirm that the body found at a Fort Lauderdale beach was that of a teen who was caught in a riptide.
The body was spotted Monday afternoon, just blocks away from where 18-year-old Vernon Adams was last seen Saturday evening. Officials say his family confirmed the identity Tuesday.
Adams was reportedly at a prom party Saturday when police say he and a friend were caught in a strong current. Lifeguards were able to rescue the friend, but Adams disappeared. Adams' mother, Akisha Hughes, says Adams had been finalizing plans last week to join the Army.
- No one hurt in North Fort Myers mobile home fire
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- Lehigh family wants schoolbus back
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- Legal fate of FSU quarterback to be answered
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- New Bridge has Glitch that Keeps a Section Up for 30 Mins.