|Published:||May 13, 2010 10:54 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 13, 2010 10:54 PM EDT|
Lee County, Fla - Left for dead.
A North Fort Myers man is making a remarkable recovery after being critically injured when he was plowed down by a truck.
The driver took off.
David Mustonen talked to Wink News about the search for the person who nearly took his live.
"I fractured something next to my spine. My ribs too. I got three staples in my head up here," David said about his injuries.
His face bruised, scratched and road rash all over his back, David is lucky to be alive.
"It'll heal up eventually," he says.
Late Monday he was riding his bike home from working at Applebees.
Suddenly at the intersection of Bayshore Road and Glick Drive in North Fort Myers, David was hit by a truck.
"The next thing I know I wake up in the ambulance and then in the hospital. It was like a blackout. like I lost a day," David said about that day.
Though he doesn't remember what happened, his injuries tell the story.
"I was in shock. Why wouldn't anyone do something like that and not stop?"
The driver of the pick-up truck that hit David kept going.
Wednesday night, after a tip, police found a white pick-up truck in North Fort Myers.
Investigators say damage to the right front are consistent with the crash.
Duck tape held the headlight and bumper together.
David's mother hopes the driver is caught soon.
"He did not care. He treated him like a rock. A beer can on the side of the street. He did not treat him like a human being," Sherri Helgerson said about the driver who hit David.
Authorities say they have tried to contact the registered owner of the truck, but have been unsuccessful.
It's unclear who was behind the wheel, but one thing is certain, David isn't letting his injuries keep him down.
"This is a small little stumble fall and I'll get right back up and keep going," he said.
David could get out of the hospital as early as Friday.
If you have information about this hit and run crash your urged to call CrimeStoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS.
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- A look at the dangers of riding a motorcycle
- Man finds drugs in a safe in front of his Pt. Charlotte home
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic