|Published:||May 12, 2010 12:07 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 12, 2010 12:07 PM EDT|
We're keeping you cool and saving you money in "Common Cents".
Mr. Electricty gives us some useful tips for saving money on your air conditioning bill.
On his website, michaelbluejay.com, Mr. Electricty says running the AC in your home can make up 60 to 70 percent of your electric bill in the summer.
So here are some super cool tips!
First, raise the temperature!
It's not gonna kill you but that bill might.
Each degree below 78 will increase your energy use by 3 to 4 percent.
Make sure your ceiling fan is blowing down.
If your fan is blowing up, it won't keep you cool.
In fact, Mr. Electricty says it's worse than no fan, because it moves the warm air at the ceiling back down toward the living area.
Now, there are products you can purchase to keep you cool at night while you sleep.
You could use them instead of running the AC overnight.
One of the products is a bed fan.
It's a small, gentle fan that operates right under the covers..keeping you cool!
It costs about seventy bucks or for just thirty bucks, you can buy a Chillow.
It's a water filled pillow that keeps your head cool while you sleep.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- One person dead after early morning accident
- Thieves steal handicapped man's motobility chair
- Immokalee firefighters donate new bikes after damaging one
- Taxpayers footing the bill for Damas hearings, treatment
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use