|Published:||May 11, 2010 5:47 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 11, 2010 5:47 PM EDT|
MIAMI - Jury selection begins in the retrial of a Miami Beach mother accused in the 1990 baseball-bat beating death of her son known as Baby Lollipops.
Ana Maria Cardona was convicted in 1992 of first-degree murder and sentenced to death. But the Florida Supreme Court overturned the conviction.
The ruling said prosecutors failed to share with the defense interviews authorities had conducted with the chief witness, which contradicted her own testimony at trial.
Cardona has said that it was the witness who delivered the fatal blow. Jury selection begins Tuesday in her retrial.
When 3-year-old Lazaro Figueroa's shrunken, scarred body was found in the bushes, investigators initially called him "Baby Lollipops" for the stained T-shirt he was wearing.
- FMPD arrests robbery suspect linked to 5 robberies
- Store owner's surveillance cameras catch alleged thieves
- Collier home destroyed by fire
- Victims say man exposed himself in Naples beach parking lot
- Real estate search begins for Hertz executives
- Settlement reached with Lifestyle Lift
- Candidates for Cape Coral Mayor duke it out in 1st debate
- Couple accused of kidnapping kids appears in court
- Police ID man who drove into Cape Coral canal
- Naples parents protest cell phone tower at elementary school