|Published:||May 11, 2010 5:47 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 11, 2010 5:47 PM EDT|
MIAMI - Jury selection begins in the retrial of a Miami Beach mother accused in the 1990 baseball-bat beating death of her son known as Baby Lollipops.
Ana Maria Cardona was convicted in 1992 of first-degree murder and sentenced to death. But the Florida Supreme Court overturned the conviction.
The ruling said prosecutors failed to share with the defense interviews authorities had conducted with the chief witness, which contradicted her own testimony at trial.
Cardona has said that it was the witness who delivered the fatal blow. Jury selection begins Tuesday in her retrial.
When 3-year-old Lazaro Figueroa's shrunken, scarred body was found in the bushes, investigators initially called him "Baby Lollipops" for the stained T-shirt he was wearing.
- Power Outage Delays FGCU Game. Power Surge causes TV delay
- Firefighters rescue driver from atop his submerged vehicle
- Despite loss, FGCU fans make the best of game day
- LCSO searches for hit & run suspect, bicyclist hospitalized
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed