|Published:||May 10, 2010 10:52 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 10, 2010 10:52 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla. - Lee County Sheriff's deputies have arrested 48-year-old Michael Beckman, for animal cruelty. They say he stabbed his own dog in an apparent attempt to kill the animal.
"He had told our officers, he was tired of the dog. Just tired of it. Certainly no reason to stab your dog," said Ria Brown, spokeswoman for Lee Co. Animal Services.
Cody Romine saw the incident. He says Beckman first tried to give his two dogs to other people. That did not work, so then Romine claims Beckman took a long kitchen knife, and stabbed the back of one dog, named Thelma.
Officers responded to the scene and arrested Beckman. They took Thelma to an emergency clinic for treatment. The knife did not hit vital organs, so the prognosis for recovery is good.
"I was shouting at the guy to stop, I even threw a grill at him, I was so upset," said Romine about the attack on the animal. "I am an animal lover, and this guy was just way out of line."
Beckman could face up to five years in prison on the charge. Ultimately, the dogs will be put up for adoption.
Lee County Domestic Animal Services urge anyone who is aware of any type of animal cruelty or neglect to report it to their agency for investigation at (239) 533-7387 (LEE-PETS).
Anyone who would like to help Thelma or other victims of animal cruelty may send their donation to the Animal Care Trust Fund at 5600 Banner Drive, Fort Myers, FL 33912. Donations may also be made online at LeeLostPets.com.
- FGCU one win away from NCAA Tournament appearance
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Search continues for missing spring breaker
- Fla. teen shot by grandfather during argument
- Suspected police impersonator was fed agent
- Cape Coral firefighters investigating trash compactor fire
- Gay-straight club lawsuit to be move forward
- Obama to promote education agenda at Miami school
- Judge: tainted evidence not enough to free inmate