|Published:||May 07, 2010 10:27 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 07, 2010 10:27 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - It was shortly before 11:30 a.m. Friday morning when officers with the Fort Myers Police Department were dispatched to investigate word of a ninth student with a gun on the Fort Myers High School campus.
FMPD School Resource Officer Athena Mitchell along with school security immediately responded to the suspect’s class and detained the 15-year-old.
The school’s administration searched the student’s belongings and a handgun was located in his duffle bag. Officer Mitchell secured the firearm.
An investigation is now underway; police say charges are pending in the case. The student has been transported to Vista Behavioral Crisis Services.
Anyone with additional information is encouraged to call the FMPD at 321-7700, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS or text message C-R-I-M-E-S (274637), Keyword FMPD. Tipsters can remain anonymous.
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Toy drive sign ups end Friday for Collier Salvation Army
- Man accused in 2 killings attempts jail escape
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Fla. city ends program allowing backyard chickens
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Whales stranded in Fla.: From despair to optimism
- 1 killed, 1 injured in Orlando hit-and-run
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs added