|Published:||May 07, 2010 10:27 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 07, 2010 10:27 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - It was shortly before 11:30 a.m. Friday morning when officers with the Fort Myers Police Department were dispatched to investigate word of a ninth student with a gun on the Fort Myers High School campus.
FMPD School Resource Officer Athena Mitchell along with school security immediately responded to the suspect’s class and detained the 15-year-old.
The school’s administration searched the student’s belongings and a handgun was located in his duffle bag. Officer Mitchell secured the firearm.
An investigation is now underway; police say charges are pending in the case. The student has been transported to Vista Behavioral Crisis Services.
Anyone with additional information is encouraged to call the FMPD at 321-7700, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS or text message C-R-I-M-E-S (274637), Keyword FMPD. Tipsters can remain anonymous.
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Witnesses says Naples man killed ducklings with a broom
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- Twins minor league team involved in Fla. crash
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting