|Published:||May 07, 2010 10:27 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 07, 2010 10:27 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - It was shortly before 11:30 a.m. Friday morning when officers with the Fort Myers Police Department were dispatched to investigate word of a ninth student with a gun on the Fort Myers High School campus.
FMPD School Resource Officer Athena Mitchell along with school security immediately responded to the suspect’s class and detained the 15-year-old.
The school’s administration searched the student’s belongings and a handgun was located in his duffle bag. Officer Mitchell secured the firearm.
An investigation is now underway; police say charges are pending in the case. The student has been transported to Vista Behavioral Crisis Services.
Anyone with additional information is encouraged to call the FMPD at 321-7700, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS or text message C-R-I-M-E-S (274637), Keyword FMPD. Tipsters can remain anonymous.
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community