|Published:||May 05, 2010 11:02 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 05, 2010 11:02 AM EDT|
GOLDEN GATE ESTATES - Neighbors are on high alert after a child is almost abducted.
The 10-year-old boy says he was riding his bike on Tuesday near the 3700 block of 43rd Avenue NE when a man in a red Dodge pickup came up behind him.
"He got out of his vehicle approached him from behind, grabbed him by the neck and pulled him off his bicycle," says Detective Zack Ewert with the Collier County Sheriff's Office.
The boy fought back.
"He did all the right things," says Det. Ewert. "He yelled, he resisted the guy, freed himself and got the help he needed."
The Sheriff's Office says the boy has seen the truck before.
"We've notified all patrol, our schools, the youth relations deputies," says Det. Ewert.
The boy's neighbor tells WINK News two other children filed a report about the man a couple of weeks ago.
"He obviously knows when these children get out of school," says Kristine Doria. "He's in in this area."
Doria is scouring the area, handing out flyers. She wants to warn other parents about what happened.
"I'm concerned about the children cause there are a lot of children in this area," says Doria.
Other residents say they're surprised and upset.
"I'm furious there are people out there like that," says Amber Blocker.
"The last thing parents need is to be worried about their children in a safe neighborhood," says Neal Borter.
Detectives are describing the man as a hispanic male with long black curly hair. He was last seen driving a red Dodge pick-up. It has white spray paint on the side and a light-up skull hitch. Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers at 800-780-TIPS.
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- Man accused of leaving baby in car no stranger to law
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- Winter weather delays flights in and out of RSW
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- Miami-Dade Police officer shot, hospitalized
- Beach renourishment winding down in Naples