|Published:||May 04, 2010 11:25 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 04, 2010 11:25 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A Cape Coral man is in hot water, as he's now facing charges after allegedly altering a check.
Police allege that Clair Smith used "check washing" methods — a technique that involves removing the writing and re-writing the check for a different amount — to change a $10.00 check into a check for $259,000.
Police say Smith, 42, deposited the check at an ATM; the bank found the check suspicious and subsequently notified authorities.
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Arrest made in Port Charlotte party shooting
- Child killed after being backed over by truck
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident
- Coast Guard: 10 migrants repatriated back to Cuba