CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A Cape Coral man is in hot water, as he's now facing charges after allegedly altering a check.
Police allege that Clair Smith used "check washing" methods — a technique that involves removing the writing and re-writing the check for a different amount — to change a $10.00 check into a check for $259,000.
Police say Smith, 42, deposited the check at an ATM; the bank found the check suspicious and subsequently notified authorities.
- 20-year-old girl dies in Cape Coral scooter crash
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Bikers participate in Collier County 'Freedom Ride'
- Friends Mourn Friend Killed in Motor Scooter Crash
- Body of autistic boy vacationing in Fla. is found
- Fla. Gov. will veto 3 percent college tuition hike
- Fla. gov. steps up pace on signing death warrants
- Consumer group flags high SPF ratings on sunscreen
- Hundreds of bikers honor military with Freedom Ride 2013
- Click it or Ticket campaign begins May 20th