|Published:||Apr 30, 2010 4:53 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 30, 2010 4:53 PM EDT|
PALM BEACH, Fla. - A Florida billionaire is jumping into the increasingly congested field vying for Florida's open U.S. Senate seat.
Democrat Jeff Greene's announcement Friday comes a day after Florida Gov. Charlie Crist announced he would run as an independent.
Greene, 55-year-old Harvard Business School MB, has been largely unknown politically. But he's rubbed elbows with the infamous, having Mike Tyson as best man at his wedding and Heidi Fleiss in a guest house when she became a domestic violence victim.
Greene became a millionaire before age 30, launching a real estate empire from money he made in college from a telemarketing promotions business. He only recently passed the billion-dollar mark in net worth, making a second fortune hedging bets against the housing bubble.
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia. ID released
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend