|Published:||Apr 29, 2010 6:57 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 29, 2010 6:57 PM EDT|
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A Daytona Beach man has been sentenced to more than 14 years in prison for raping a woman, who cannot hear or speak, inside a stolen vehicle.
A judge sentenced 19-year-old Byron Bernard Powers on Wednesday after he pleaded no contest to sexual battery with a firearm.
Police say Powers stopped the 23-year-old woman in July 2007, took her behind a house and demanded oral sex. When the woman refused, Powers put a gun to her head and raped her.
The woman managed to get away and hide in a shed, but Powers found her. She ran toward a man putting garbage in a trash can, and Powers didn't follow.
Police say Powers' DNA was found on the woman.
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Witnesses says Naples man killed ducklings with a broom
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- Twins minor league team involved in Fla. crash
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting