|Published:||Apr 26, 2010 6:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 26, 2010 6:00 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A Cape Coral man, identified as 32-year-old Albert Solomon Griffin, is facing charges of child abuse. It's alleged he beat a six-year-old child with a belt, inflicting large bruises over the child's body. Authorities believe the child was struck numerous times after he lied about brushing his teeth.
The case unfolded on Saturday, April 24, when Cape Coral Police received word of a possible child abuse case. The situation first came to the attention of the Department of Children and Families; the agency contacted authorities, who promptly investigated the case.
According to police reports, a woman at the home told investigators that the child had been spanked earlier in the week when he lied about brushing his teeth. It's alleged that "Griffin removed his belt and struck the child numerous times causing large bruising on the legs, upper thighs, buttocks, both arms and forearms, and the torso and back areas."
As a result of the investigation into the case, Griffin was taken into custody Sunday night. He was booked on charges of child abuse and transported to Lee County Jail.
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- LCSO investigates shots fired in Gateway
- Southbound I-75 reopens after rollover crash near Colonial
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Crews battle brush fire near Island Park
- Report: mother at fault in fatal Alligator Alley crash
- Fire shuts down Jersey's Sports Cafe
- Festival of Dance to feature many genres this weekend
- IRS hits Miccosukee tribe with $170M tax bill
- SWFL soldier surprises kids live on WINK News