|Published:||Apr 22, 2010 8:31 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 22, 2010 8:31 PM EDT|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - An attorney representing a teenager accused of severely beating a girl at a South Florida middle school says he has entered a written plea of not guilty on behalf of his client.
Wayne Treacy, 15, is accused of trying to kill Josie Lou Ratley at a Deerfield Beach Middle School campus bus stop on March 17, 2010. He is charged as an adult with first-degree attempted murder.
Attorney Russell Williams has not denied Treacy's role in the assault and has signaled a defense strategy that will focus on Treacy's mental health.
Ratley suffered brain damage in the assault and is still unable to speak. She is hospitalized and underwent a third brain surgery earlier this week.
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- No charges in Jameis Winston sex assault case
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti