|Published:||Apr 16, 2010 10:42 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 16, 2010 10:42 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - A Fort Myers couple says they were ripped off by con-artists. The victim says that a man came by their house wanting to talk about a neighbors plan to build a fence.
Deputies say he lured them outside and to the backyard where they talked for about 45 minutes. During that time, another man ransacked bedrooms inside, taking cash and a large collection of jewelry.
"He was always on his cell phone, right from the beginning, this little blue cell phone, speaking in spanish. I asked him, what's that, he says, well, I have somebody working on another job," said C.J. We agreed not to use his last name. "He was able to get a hold of a collection of about 60 years of jewelry, and some gold."
Investigators say it's too early to tell if this incident is connected to similar crimes. However, deputies warn, the elderly are targets of fraud and deception.
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January