|Published:||Apr 16, 2010 10:42 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 16, 2010 10:42 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - A Fort Myers couple says they were ripped off by con-artists. The victim says that a man came by their house wanting to talk about a neighbors plan to build a fence.
Deputies say he lured them outside and to the backyard where they talked for about 45 minutes. During that time, another man ransacked bedrooms inside, taking cash and a large collection of jewelry.
"He was always on his cell phone, right from the beginning, this little blue cell phone, speaking in spanish. I asked him, what's that, he says, well, I have somebody working on another job," said C.J. We agreed not to use his last name. "He was able to get a hold of a collection of about 60 years of jewelry, and some gold."
Investigators say it's too early to tell if this incident is connected to similar crimes. However, deputies warn, the elderly are targets of fraud and deception.
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- LCSO searches for hit & run suspect, bicyclist hospitalized
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Woman dies after driving into pond