|Published:||Apr 13, 2010 10:06 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 13, 2010 10:06 PM EDT|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. - The Chicago Cubs may be coming to Naples after all.
Collier County is back in the running after Mesa, Arizona struggles to find the money to build a new stadium.
"To be honest, I believe we're going to win."
Investor Craig Bouchard is confident the Chicago Cubs will move to Southwest Florida, because we have something Mesa doesn't - private funding to help build an estimated 80-million dollar stadium.
"They're having a tough time coming up with the ingredients they need to ask the taxpayers to fund that stadium and our offer is based on a foundation of private money, so we don't have those issues."
"Well I can't blame Arizona for being concerned about it in this day and age. Here, being private, that's what it's supposed to be."
A minor league team and baseball museum would keep the area busy year-round... not just during spring training.
"People would come down in droves. Everybody I know is a Cubbie fan... except the ones in Milwaukee, but we're close to Chicago and I know a lot of Cubs fans would be down here and we would come to the games. My husband goes to the Twins and Red Sox when we're down here."
"Being a Yankee man, I still think it'd be wonderful."
Mesa has until July 12th to come up with the money. In the meantime, investors in Collier County say they're watching and waiting.
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral