|Published:||Apr 13, 2010 8:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 13, 2010 8:00 PM EDT|
ORLANDO, Fla. - Republican U.S. Senate candidate Marco Rubio says he'll cut short a planned bus tour of central Florida to return to Miami to be with his cancer-stricken father.
The 38-year-old former Florida House speaker had announced a four-day, 14-city bus tour this week, hoping to rally his conservative base and try to bolster his lead in the polls over Gov. Charlie Crist.
But the campaign announced Tuesday that Rubio would attend only scheduled events in Orlando and at The Villages on Tuesday, and in Belleview and St. Augustine on Wednesday.
Rubio's 83-year-old father, Mario, was diagnosed with lung cancer a year ago and had surgery. Rubio said Tuesday his father's cancer reocurred and he wants to be in Miami with his father.
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- Sun Splash Waterpark begins summer hours Friday
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic
- Desoto officials search for missing Nocatee man
- Man finds drugs in a safe in front of his Pt. Charlotte home
- Investigation determines electrical problems caused bus fire