|Published:||Apr 13, 2010 8:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 13, 2010 8:00 PM EDT|
ORLANDO, Fla. - Republican U.S. Senate candidate Marco Rubio says he'll cut short a planned bus tour of central Florida to return to Miami to be with his cancer-stricken father.
The 38-year-old former Florida House speaker had announced a four-day, 14-city bus tour this week, hoping to rally his conservative base and try to bolster his lead in the polls over Gov. Charlie Crist.
But the campaign announced Tuesday that Rubio would attend only scheduled events in Orlando and at The Villages on Tuesday, and in Belleview and St. Augustine on Wednesday.
Rubio's 83-year-old father, Mario, was diagnosed with lung cancer a year ago and had surgery. Rubio said Tuesday his father's cancer reocurred and he wants to be in Miami with his father.
- LCSO finds, arrests North Fort Myers murder suspect
- Suspect in Lehigh double murder located in WY
- Man pays down 76 layaway orders at Fla. store
- FMPD arrests 16 suspected drug dealers
- LCSO searched for missing 29 y/o Bonita man
- Attorney blasts investigation into FSU's Winston
- Deputies shoot bank robbery suspect who claimed to have bomb
- Hertz plans to open temporary headquarters in Bonita Springs
- Fla. Attorney General temporarily stops Service Star
- 2 transported by helicopter after serious crash on SR 776