|Published:||Apr 12, 2010 7:28 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 12, 2010 7:28 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A Waste Management worker has died, following an early morning crash on Skyline Boulevard in Cape Coral. The victim, identified as 53-year-old Lawrence Davis, was pronounced dead at Lee Memorial Hospital.
According to police, the Waste Management trash truck was stopped in the southbound lane of Skyline Boulevard when the accident occurred. Davis, along with a second worker, identified as 42-year-old Andres Soto, was standing at the rear of the truck when the collision occurred.
Investigators say the 2007 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck, driven by Brian G. Ross, age 52. "According to witnesses, Ross moved into the outside lane and did not see the garbage truck stopped on the road. Ross' truck struck the left rear of the garbage truck where Davis was standing. The impact forced Davis under the garbage truck," authorities indicated.
Soto, the other Waste Management worker, was able to jump out of the vehicle's path; he did not sustain any injuries. Ross sustained minor injuries and refused treatment.
This marks the city's third traffic fatality of the year. The investigation into this accident is ongoing.
WINK News will bring you additional details as soon as they become available.
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings