|Published:||Apr 12, 2010 10:42 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 12, 2010 10:42 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - A Fort Myers man, identified as 21-year-old Jamaal Young, is facing a weapons charge involving the alleged use of a weapon of mass destruction (WMD).
Police say Young was at his ex-girlfriend's home in the Ashlar Apartment complex when he mixed bleach, ammonia, degreaser and cough syrup; the concoction created chlorine gas, which nearly killed the suspect and left first responders in need of medical attention.
Young placed the liquid in the bathtubs, sinks, counters and inside the microwave of the home.
Apartments were evacuated as a result of the fumes, which permeated nearby residential units.
Police who responded to the scene had to undergo decontamination before they were transported to the hospital for treatment.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Templeton Shootout drives millions into Naples economy
- Neighbors say homicide victim was loved by everyone
- House to tackle flood insurance rate hikes
- Naples shelter combats domestic violence one gift at a time
- FWC reports 20th panther mortality for 2013