|Published:||Apr 12, 2010 10:42 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 12, 2010 10:42 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - A Fort Myers man, identified as 21-year-old Jamaal Young, is facing a weapons charge involving the alleged use of a weapon of mass destruction (WMD).
Police say Young was at his ex-girlfriend's home in the Ashlar Apartment complex when he mixed bleach, ammonia, degreaser and cough syrup; the concoction created chlorine gas, which nearly killed the suspect and left first responders in need of medical attention.
Young placed the liquid in the bathtubs, sinks, counters and inside the microwave of the home.
Apartments were evacuated as a result of the fumes, which permeated nearby residential units.
Police who responded to the scene had to undergo decontamination before they were transported to the hospital for treatment.
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community