|Published:||Apr 09, 2010 2:37 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 09, 2010 2:37 PM EDT|
MIAMI - A 2-year-old girl is in serious condition after police in Miami say a 29-year-old woman lost control of her SUV, drove onto a sidewalk, and then fled the scene.
The baby, identified as 2-year-old Natalie Garcia, was airlifted to Miami Children's Hospital with life threatening injuries. Miami-Dade police say Carla Schussler Sommariba was behind the wheel a 2001 GMC Yukon Thursday evening when she drove onto a sidewalk where the child was walking and struck her.
A witness followed the suspect and got her to pull over by honking his car's horn and flashing the lights. Police say he took down her vehicle information and urged her to return to the scene. Sommariba was later arrested at her home and charged with careless driving and leaving the scene of a crash with injuries.
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Holiday event fundraises for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Attendance up at 2013 Art Basel in Miami Beach
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- Panther found dead of suspected gunshot wound
- FIU hosts meeting on deteriorating bridges