|Published:||Apr 05, 2010 9:41 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 05, 2010 9:41 PM EDT|
BONITA SPRING, Fla - New details emerge regarding an officer involved shooting. The shooting happened on Thursday, April 1, in Bonita Springs.
Deputies were called to the home near the intersection of Iowa and New York Street after reports of a man with a gun. The deputy involved in this shooting was not injured, but 54 year-old Timothy Baum was killed at the scene.
His neighbors are stunned. "I've never seen anything like that. In this place it's quiet. I'm really scared," said neighbor Zeferino Rojas.
Shortly before 9:00 p.m.Thursday night, deputies responded to 27898 New York Street to investigate reports that Baum was armed with a gun and shooting it in the air.
"He was a nice guy. I'm shocked," said friend Karen Peppers. She has rented her home to Baum since June and considers him a friend. Baum went to her wedding and worked with her husband. "I feel sorry. I feel really bad," she said.
Since Thursday, investigators have been on scene piecing together what happened. Neighbors say Thursday night they heard gun shots and then saw police. "It kept me awake til midnight all the lights. It was lit up here like Christmas," said neighbor Allan Pedley.
Police presence at Timothy Baum's home is uncommon. WINK News did some digging and found out in the past two weeks deputies responded to this home five times. The reasons include domestic violence calls, a burglary, a drug case, and noise complaints.
Sheriff Scott told reporters Friday that the deputies acted accordingly and there's no doubt their use of force as justified. The investigation continues. In the meantime, the deputy involved in this shooting is "light duty" pending the results of a formal investigation.
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school