Are the snowbirds staying longer?
|Published:||Apr 05, 2010 9:22 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 05, 2010 9:22 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. - Fort Myers Beach was packed Monday. Typically, snowbirds head home the day after Easter, but it looked like some stayed here to enjoy the weather. Sheila Klagos had her van packed and was headed back home to Wisconsin after spending part of her winter in Naples. "We did a lot of shopping. We did an airboat tour in the Everglades. We went out out eat a lot - great restaurants." But Andy Berris wasn't so lucky. The weather got to him and now he's on his way home. "The water temperatures were a little too cool and had a lot of fish die off, and we broke all kinds of low temperature records." But not all snowbirds are headed north. "The last month business has started to pick up and the last two-and-a-half weeks it's been very good because of the change in the weather pattern." "Easter's done and we're still busy, so hopefully we get another four to five weeks out of this." It's needed. This season was the worst business owners have ever endured. "You have to forget about your loses in January and February and move forward." Business owners are optimistic crowds of people will still be coming to the beach for the next couple of months.
Popular Local & Florida News Articles
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident
- Naples non-profit uses water therapy to help Veterans cope
- New video shows Hohensee's anger
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Community comes together for Safety Fair & 5k
- Communications satellite launched into space