Published: Jul 29, 2014 5:23 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 30, 2014 6:20 PM EDT

FORT MYERS, Fla.- The victim of a hit and run accident in the parking lot of Scarlett's Cabaret yesterday, has died as a result of the injuries sustained in the crash.

Fort Myers Police arrested 21-year-old Giovanni Alberto Cordona after he allegedly backed over 22-year-old Luis Saez with his car.

Tuesday, July 30th, would have been Luiz Saez's 23rd birthday.

"Didn't matter what kind of day you had, he gets here and you just want to enjoy life the way he did," said his dad, Pete.

His mom, Lynn, adds, "He touched so many lives. He had lots and lots of friends but with Luis, family always came first." 

But instead of celebrating, the Saez family is trying to stay strong, mourning the life of a good young man, and an even better baseball player.

 "My son was a great kid. He was the heart and soul of our family, like my husband says," said Lynn.

Saez died, after police say Cordona ran him over. 

Cordona was kicked out of Scarlett's night club early Sunday morning, for getting in a fight with a woman. He continued screaming in the parking lot next door.

That's when Saez stepped in, and told him to stop. His family says he was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, but it was in his nature to help.

"Never liked to see people fight, people argue. Always did the best he could to fix any situation. He was just the best person," said Lynn.

Saez's organs will be harvested, then donated. 

A difficult decision for the famly to make, but one they say Luis would have made easily.

 "Always helps people, always wanted to help people and this way he gets to continue to help people. Maybe this way a little piece of him gets to live on. If we can help even one family not have to go through what were going Through it would be worth it," said Luiz.

A witness on scene followed Cardona to his residence in South Fort Myers while calling 911. 

Cardona was arrested for hit and run, and DUI. Police said at his first appearance, the charges could be made more serious. 

He is currently in Lee County jail, under $265,000 bond.