FORT MYERS, Fla. - A recent nation-wide study shows Florida as tops for text message scammers and SWFL ranked 118.
According to Cloudmark Security Researcher Tom Landesman, the Fort Myers/ Naples - 239 - area code ranks #118 by volume of SMS spam received in 2013, through August.
A noticeable portion of the spam is targeted bank phishing, in which cyberthieves try to trick consumers into sharing sensitive personal and financial information. Phishers are targeting Tampa-based Suncoast Schools Federal Credit Union customers. While based a bit north of the 239 area code, this federal credit union does have a noticeable presence in the region extending from Tampa to South Naples. The area covered includes Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Bonita and Naples
Ft. Lauderdale - 954 - area code ranks top in the nation. Miami's 786 & 305 are listed 4, 5 followed by Jacksonville at 21.
Some tips Cloudmark has put together for consumers on SMS spam include:
- If you receive a message that appears to come from your bank or credit company, check the company website for the organization's phone number.
- Most credit/debit cards provide a customer service number on the back of the card. Call this number instead of one provided in a text message.
- Don't click on links in text message since they might be malicious.
- Many spam messages pretend to be from someone who is interested in chatting with you because they met you once or saw your profile on line. Don't be fooled.
- If you must get a payday loan, you will get a better deal walking in to a high-street moneylender than you will on the Internet.