Published: Sep 16, 2013 11:52 PM EDT
Updated: Sep 17, 2013 7:15 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead.
    
Authorities had earlier said they were searching for a possible second suspect.
    
Mayor Vincent Gray says the 12 shooting victims range in age from 46 to 73 years old. The gunman, identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, was also killed.
    
Gray said at a news conference late Monday night that they are still notifying the families of about half of the 12 people who were killed.
    
The FBI says the gunman used a valid pass to get on to the Navy Yard.

 

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)