Published: Feb 24, 2011 3:04 AM EST
Updated: Feb 24, 2011 12:04 AM EST

CAPE CORAL, Fla.- A Cape Coral family is homeless after a fire breaks out in their home. The fire happened in the 5000 block of 1st place. Fire crews put the fire out quickly, but by then it was too late.

"I put toast in the toaster and I go for a fast shower and then I hear the fire alarm," said homeowner Kay Schliedler.

As soon as Schliedler heard the fire detector, he jumped out of the shower.

"I walked into the kitchen and saw the fire, then I ran out of the house to help myself with the green hose," he said.

Schliedler tried to put the fire out, but only made the situation worse.

"There was a small explosion. I think I hit the electricity, then there was too much smoke and I went out of the house," explained Schliedler.

In a matter of minutes, fire crews arrived on scene. They put the fire out and stopped it from spreading to the rest of the house. But the damage was already significant. The kitchen was completely destroyed, a small part of the roof in the living room caved in, and smoke damage could be seen all over the house. Fire investigators ruled the fire an accident.

Although the fire caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage, the homeowner is happy his family is safe.

"Thank you for the firefighters," he said.

The family has insurance and is hopeful their claim will be paid. But for now, they'll have to find a new place to live because their home was deemed unsafe by the Cape Coral Planning, Zoning and Inspection Department.