|Published:||Oct 14, 2010 4:41 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 14, 2010 1:41 AM EDT|
SAN JOSE MINE, Chile (AP) - The last of the Chilean miners has been raised from deep beneath the earth. All 33 men have now been delivered from the longest underground entrapment in history.
The foreman who held the group together when they were feared lost was the last man out. Luis Alberto Urzua was hoisted to safety in a joyous climax to a flawless rescue that captivated the world.
The intricately planned rescue that ended late Wednesday moved with remarkable speed - and flawless execution - hauling up miner after miner in a cramped cage through a narrow hole drilled through 2,000 feet of rock.
The 33 men spent more than 69 days trapped in the lower reaches of the mine after a huge collapse of rock blocked the way out on Aug. 5.
With TV viewers around the world watching their rescue, requests are pouring in for the miners to tell their tales of survival, including invitations to appear on TV programs, and discussions of possible book and movie deals.
Mario Sepulveda was the second man up, and his shouts of celebration could be heard even before the rescue capsule reached the surface. He bounded out, thrust a fist skyward and later declared he had "extraordinary luck." He said he had been "with God and with the devil," inside the mine and had "reached for God."
Sepulveda captivated Chileans in videos from inside the mine, leading many to speculate that he could have a future as a TV personality. But on Chilean state TV today, he told viewers he "was born a miner" and will "die a miner" and doesn't want to be treated as anything else.
The Chilean government is promising at least six months of care for the miners, until officials are sure that each has readjusted.