|Published:||Jun 15, 2010 7:49 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 15, 2010 4:49 PM EDT|
PENSACOLA - Governor Charlie Crist today announced another free fishing weekend to encourage people, especially dads and their kids, to get out and catch saltwater fish along Florida's beautiful coastlines. The announcement follows a briefing on the Deepwater Horizon oil spill's impact to Florida waters with the President in Pensacola. All Florida residents and visitors are invited to fish statewide for saltwater species without a license during the upcoming Father's Day weekend, June 19-20. All other saltwater fishing rules continue to apply.
"Extending a special, free fishing weekend is another reminder that Florida is still the fishing capital of the world," said Governor Crist. "Our vast Gulf and Atlantic coastal waters are open for fishing, and I encourage everyone, particularly fathers and their families, to take advantage of this free fishing weekend in Florida."
Governor Crist previously designated this year's Memorial Day weekend and the first weekend in June as free fishing weekends. Chairman Rodney Barreto of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) was pleased with the Governor's new declaration.
"Governor Crist's actions to extend another free fishing weekend will help bring families together to enjoy the outdoors and lend a hand to Florida's fishing communities, which have been suffering due to mistaken perceptions that fishing is not open because of the BP oil spill," said Chairman Barreto.
The FWC continues to vigorously monitor the Deepwater Horizon oil spill and is working closely with Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Commissioner Charles H. Bronson to prepare for any action that might be needed to further protect Florida's saltwater fisheries and ensure that Florida seafood is safe to eat.
Governor Crist and the President were briefed on the oil spill by Admiral Thad Allen at a Pensacola seafood restaurant. Afterward, the Governor joined the President for a tour of Pensacola's shore.