Published: Nov 14, 2011 4:23 AM EST
Updated: Nov 14, 2011 7:30 AM EST

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - John Daly says while he regrets walking out part way through the Australian Open last week, he had little choice after running out of balls.

The two-time major winner hit seven balls into the water on the 11th hole during Thursday's first round before storming off Sydney's The Lakes golf course.

Speaking at a Pro-Am in Melbourne on Monday, Daly said "of course I regret it. But at the time there wasn't much I could do."

An Australasian tour panel is expected to hold a disciplinary hearing this week to consider the incident and decide on possible disciplinary action.

Tournament director Trevor Herden on Thursday described Daly's actions as "unprofessional," saying officials would have fetched more golf balls if asked.