|Published:||Mar 20, 2012 10:17 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 20, 2012 10:17 PM EDT|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Gov. Rick Scott told protesters demanding an independent investigation into the fatal shooting of a black teenager by a neighborhood watch captain that the case will be handled properly.
About 50 people led by a group of lawyers walked into Scott's lobby Tuesday to deliver a letter and ask to speak with the governor. They applauded when Scott unexpectedly stepped out of his office.
The group wants the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to take over the investigation of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin's death last month in Sanford. George Zimmerman claims he shot Martin in self-defense and hasn't been charged.
Scott said FDLE will continue to assist Sanford police in the investigation, and he's confident the agency will make sure if Zimmerman did something wrong, he won't get away with it.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)