Published: Jul 15, 2014 3:37 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 15, 2014 5:51 PM EDT

Consumer Reports found there have been more than 20,000 calls to poison control centers since the laundry detergent pods became mainstream in 2012.

Michelle Rohde's toddler Alex bit into a Tide detergent pod after he found one. Alex was airlifted to the hospital and was put on a ventilator for seven days.

"He had so much diarrhea and so much throw-up coming out of his mouth. It was horrible...When he turned blue, I would say was probably the scariest part," Rohde said.

Consumer Reports said since the creation of the pods, manufacturers have made the containers more childproof, by changing the containers from clear to opaque and using child resistant lids. However, Dan DiClerico with Consumer Reports said the manufacturers should also considering redesigning the pods themselves because they look like candy.

Experts say if your child ever ingests one of the laundry detergent pods, you should contact the poison control hotline immediately at 1-800-222-1222.