Published: Feb 29, 2012 11:43 PM EST
Updated: Mar 01, 2012 4:33 PM EST

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - WINK News Call for Action gets results for all kinds of requests, but we want to tell you about one so unusual it really struck a cord with us. A woman asked us to help get her beloved family pet's ashes back. She told us the vet gave away her dog's ashes and wouldn't refund her money.

"I'm to the mad stage now. I spent two weeks crying at the drop of a hat," said Michelle Holt.

Michelle had been trying for weeks to either get her dog's ashes back, or her money back, and she wasn't having any luck.

"I just wanted her home," she told us.

Michelle's 13-year-old golden retriever Kellie had a stoke in January. She and her husband knew it was Kellie's time.

"My husband called me from the vet's office and asked me what we wanted to do with her," Michelle recalled. "And we had said that we had wanted her cremated so that we could either bury her under the tree in the backyard-- this had been her only home."

Despite the traumatic event of having to put down their beloved dog, they felt like Kellie was in good hands.

"He assured me that when he dropped her off, they were very nice. They put her on a blanket and they took care of her and that was when he left," Michelle explained.

A few weeks later, they received a message from the veterinary clinic that their dog's remains were ready to pick up. But when Michelle and her husband went to pick up Kellie's remains, they were told the ashes were gone.

"He then came out to the truck, sat in the driver's seat, totally speechless and I asked him what's wrong, what's going on? He said, Michelle is there any chance that somebody else came up here to pick Kellie's ashes up..." Michelle said. "Then I asked him why? What's the matter? And he said well they said they just gave her away to somebody else about a half hour ago. We were both speechless. Dumbfounded."

After arguing with the clinic the Holts complained to us.

"Not having her back and knowing that she's been buried in a dignified way that she deserved has been horrible. Horrible. That's not what I wanted for her at all," said Michelle.

We called the vet's office and within 24-hours they had not only cut a check to the Holt family, but they had also called their other clients and found Kellie's ashes!

Over the phone, the clinic's manager told us she wanted to make things better and felt very bad over what had happened. We're happy to report that the Holt family  met with the clinic manager, got their dog back, their money back and an apology.