FBI Tampa division counters terrorism in Southwest Florida
There are 5,000 open terrorism cases in the United States. WINK News looked at whether Southwest Florida has the resources necessary to investigate terrorism. The short answer — yes.
Southwest Florida is home to its own FBI joint terrorism task force.
“We are always looking for threats across all of the territories that the FBI covers, said Special Agent Eric Sporre in charge of the FBI branch in Tampa. “We address them jointly with our joint terrorism task force. The threat from those areas are consistent, and they’re always concerting. And they are always areas we look at with a fine-tuned comb.”
Conducting terrorism investigations can be complex:
- Centers around — human sources
- Electronic communications
- Operational plans
The FBI provides assistance overseas as well. It is currently investigating the New Zealand mosque attacks.
- FBI — Joint Terrorism Task Forces
- National Strategy for Counterterrorism of the United States of America
- Homeland Security
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence
- FBI — Mission & Priorities