Photo credit: Amanda Kenny DeAngelis

‘Scary’: Mom describes experience after mirror burns hole in baby seat

A mother took to Facebook to warn others after claiming her baby mirror reflected enough sunlight to singe her daughter’s car seat.

Amanda Kenny DeAngelis posted a video on Facebook of smoke coming out of the Britax car seat.

“Thank God! I was rushing home and didn’t sit in my seat checking emails and responding to texts like I typically do it Mila is sleeping,” DeAngelis said on a Facebook post.

DeAngelis said Britax responded immediately after she reached out to explain what had happened. But Eddie Bauer, the mirror manufacturer, had yet to respond to the situation.

“I’ve use car seats with mirrors with all my kids-never have I experienced this! Scary!” DeAngelis said on a Facebook post.

Other parents were quick to respond and express their concern. As of Thursday morning, the post had received more than 85,000 shares and over 20,000 comments.

A company spokesperson released a statement to NBC Charlotte:

“Direct sunlight reflecting off shiny objects in a car can be dangerous. The federal government requires all car seats and the interior of vehicles to meet flame retardant standards. In this incident, the flame retardants in the car seat did their job. As always, parents and caregivers should exercise caution when using any after-market car seat accessories, including back seat mirrors. All back seat mirrors should be installed correctly, securely attached and mounted to the vehicle head restraint. Incorrect installation can result in injury if the mirror becomes a projectile in a crash.”

**Update again**. I’m not placing blame or trying to start arguments…just trying to make other informed this is a…

Posted by Amanda Kenny DeAngelis on Tuesday, January 23, 2018

SHARE