Woman killed in crash on Pine Island Road New Year’s Day
One person was killed Monday afternoon in a crash that shut down the eastbound lane of a portion of SW Pine Island Road for hours.
According to Cape Coral police, the driver of a Ford pickup truck struck Maria Laurentina Schreiner, 54, of Cape Coral, from behind while she was walking in a bike lane on SW Pine Island Road.
The wreck happened at the intersection of Nott and SW Pine Island roads near the German American Social Club on the 2100 block of Southwest Pine Island Road.
Police say alcohol and/or drugs were not a factor in the crash.
Cape Coral road fatalities breakdown:
- 2018= 01 Traffic fatalities, 0 DUI related
- 2017= 17 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related
- 2016= 11 Traffic fatalities, 4 DUI related
- 2015= 13 Traffic fatalities, 9 DUI related
- 2014= 10 Traffic fatalities, 5 DUI related
- 2013= 19 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related
- 2012= 10 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related
* totals do not include deaths ruled medical related.