NAPLES, Fla. A woman found a bear hiding in her garage and got close enough to snap a photo.
She later notified the Collier County Sheriff’s Office. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Coalition Commission provided the following tips to keep your home and family safe from bears in the area:
- Put trash cans curbside on the morning of pickup.
- Add hardware to a trash can to increase its resistance to bears, or find out about more bear-resistant trash cans.
- Build a bear-resistant shed.
- Use electric fencing to protect gardens, apiaries, compost and livestock.
- Ask your homeowners association to implement policies for securing food that attracts wildlife.
- Bring your pet’s dish inside after its meal, or feed pets indoors.
- Clean grills and store them in a locked, secure place like a shed or garage.
- Remove wildlife feeders or make them resistant to bears.
- Pick ripe fruit from trees and pieces that have fallen on the ground.