20 hospitalized because of generator too close to Bonita home
BONITA SPRINGS, Fla. Twenty people were taken to area hospitals Tuesday morning after a hazmat situation near Imperial Parkway, the Bonita Springs Fire Rescue said.
Crews were called around 4:45 a.m. to a home near the intersection of Red Bud Lane and Imperial Parkway, said Barry Brown, battalion chief of the Bonita Springs Fire Rescue.
Those inside the home were transported to area hospitals as a precaution because of a threat of carbon monoxide poisoning due to the proximity of a generator, Brown said. Five children were taken to Gulf Coast Hospital.
Gov. Scott urged people in a tweet to keep gas-powered generators outside the home in the event they lost power during Hurricane Irma.
If you lose power, DO NOT use gas-powered generator indoors, not even in the garage.
— Rick Scott (@FLGovScott) September 10, 2017
Residents should run generators in a well-ventilated, dry area away from intakes into the home and protected from rain, according to Lee County EMS officials. An ideal spot would be under a canopy away from the home or in an open, freestanding shed.
And if you can find them, Lee County EMS recommends installing carbon monoxide alarms inside your home.