FORT MYERS, Fla. It was a disturbing experience.
A juror in the child pornography trial of the man suspected of abducting a San Carlos Park girl said he had difficulty looking at lewd images of the girl that prosecutors said the man took and kept on his phone.
Mark Gibson was among the jurors who voted unanimously to convict Jorge Guerrero of producing and possessing child pornography last week, one day before the 10th birthday of Diana Alvarez, who went missing May 29, 2016.
“By the time it was over with, there was no question in my mind,” Gibson said.
Guerrero didn’t look in the direction of Alvarez’s mother when she took the stand, Gibson recalled.
“It kind of seemed like it was showing that there was a lot of guilt there,” Gibson said.
Most difficult of all for Gibson was finding out after the trial that Alvarez still hasn’t been found. He was only vaguely familiar with the case before the trial, and prosecutors weren’t allowed to mention Alvarez had gone missing.
Guerrero, who faces up to 45 years in prison for his child porn conviction, has never been charged in her disappearance.
Gibson hopes Alvarez’s family receives some kind of closure and called Guerrero’s conviction “a step along the way.”
“Nothing is going to take the place of her coming home,” Gibson said.