Prosecutors not allowed to mention disappearance in suspect’s child porn trial

FORT MYERS, Fla. Prosecutors will not be allowed to mention Jorge Guerrero as a suspect in Diana Alvarez’s kidnapping or mention his whereabouts at the time of her disappearance during his child pornography trial, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday.

But prosecutors will be allowed to show interrogation video of Guerrero, who is accused of possessing lewd images of the nine-year-old girl, admitting to a sexual relationship with Diana.

The video is directly related to Guerrero’s charges and proves sexual misconduct, the judge said.

Guerrero’s attorneys filed a motion last week to exclude any evidence related to the disappearance and not the child pornography case.

Diana’s mother, Rita Hernandez, watched Guerrero, who previously rejected a plea deal of 24 years in prison, in court on Tuesday.

“I feel like grabbing him but we can’t touch him [Guerrero], we can’t do anything towards him,” she said in Spanish. “We just have to hold on. Just to see him is sickening.”

Jury selection for Guerrero’s trial begins on Thursday.

Reporter:Nicole Valdes
NValdesWINK
Writer:Katherine Viloria
winknews