SWFL veterans react to US airstrikes against Syria
FORT MYERS, Fla. The U.S. military blasted a Syrian air base with approximately 60 U.S. Tomahawk missiles Thursday night in response to the gruesome chemical weapons attack that killed civilians earlier this week.
Senior military officials are currently looking into Russia’s involvement in the heinous crime. Russian President Valdimir Putin has ordered warships toward the U.S. Navy destroyers that launched the missiles.
While many Southwest Florida veterans are applauding President Trump’s actions, some have concerns about what to expect in the coming days.
“I think taking out the airports and the planes that did some of the really terrible things that just happened is kind of getting our point across, but my biggest concern is that I’m kind of scared about retaliation against U.S. troops,” said veteran Eric Howard.
But others believe President Trump made a wise choice.
“I think it’s long overdue,” said fellow veteran Kevin Boyd. “We had a red line that they crossed, we did nothing, it sent the wrong signal out that we weren’t strong enough to do anything.”