State Road 70 reopens following poor visibility
ARCADIA, Fla. A portion State Road 70 reopened after a temporary closure Tuesday morning, the Florida Highway Patrol said.
State Road 70 was shut down just after 6 a.m. from County Road 760 in DeSoto County to Old State Road 8 in Highlands County due to smoke in the area, according to the FHP.
Drivers were encouraged to find an alternate route, state troopers said.
This is the second time troopers have closed this portion of State Road 70 this month.
State troopers provided the following guidelines when driving in an area with limited visibility:
- Drive with your low beams on
- Don’t speed
- Watch out for slow-moving or parked vehicles
- Avoid distractions like the radio or using a cell phone
- Use wipers and defrosters
- Use the lines on the road as a guideline
- Be patient
- Signal turns and brake when approaching a stop in advance
- Don’t stop on a freeway or busy road. Use your turn signal to pull off the road and turn your hazard lights on.
No further information was immediately available.