Jorge Guerrero pleads not guilty to child porn charges

FORT MYERS, Fla.- The man suspected in the disappearance of 9-year-old Diana Alvarez pleaded not guilty in court Monday to the production and possession of child porn.

Jorge Guerrero, 28, faces a minimum sentence of 15 years in federal prison on the production charge. He was indicted earlier this month on child exploitation charges for persuading a minor to engage in sexually explicit conduct, court documents showed.

Authorities say explicit images of an underage girl were found on Guerrero’s phone.

Guerrero is not currently facing any charges specifically related to Alvarez’s disappearance, though he was taken into custody just days after the 9-year-old was last seen on May 29. The Alvarez family’s lawyer said more charges could be on the way.

Their attorney also mentioned new names in the investigation, though the Alvarez’ family said, through an interpreter, that they believe Guerrero knows something.

“I feel like he has something to do with this because he wouldn’t even look at my face,” said Alvarez’ mother Rita Hernandez. “Why don’t he want to speak with the cops on the first day? ”

The physical search for the missing girl has ended, but the investigation remains open, authorities said.

SHARE