FORT MYERS, Fla.- We often hear new warnings about things that cause cancer, like red meat and processed meat. The frequent warnings make it confusing to choose what to eat and what to eliminate from our diets.
Valerie Butram, the oncology education coordinator and dietitian with the Lee Memorial Health System, has the following tips:
Recommendations for Cancer Prevention
- Avoid sugary drinks; limit energy dense foods
- Eat a variety of plant foods:
- fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes
- Limit red meats; avoid processed meats
- Limit alcoholic drinks to 2 for men, 1 for women per day
- Limit salty foods & foods processed with sodium
- Be lean as possible without becoming underweight
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes daily
- Get needed nutrients from food, not supplements
- Do not smoke or chew tobacco.
For more information, visit leememorial.org or call 239-343-9500.